Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Life Simulator Engine

edited January 30 in Tools

I'm making this. It's really alpha.

Life sims all seem to have two problems in common:

Lots of world state

The number of vars the game is tracking -- just for game logic, not graphics or physics or anything -- is very large. Like how The Sims tracks sims' opinions of one another, their likes and dislikes and so forth, even for the ones you never talk to and have shown no interest in. If you streamline a life sim to where it doesn't have extraneous detail complexity you lose a huge part of what makes it lifelike.

This causes trouble for developers when even they don't really understand why sims hate each other, and even if they do, failures of bookkeeping can cause technical issues like how damn long it takes to save or load your game in The Sims 3.

To address all those problems, LiSE uses a database. SQLite, specifically, though you never have to write any SQL if you don't want to -- I've written a mapper that lets you access the data through a more natural node-graph interface, similar to the way things work in text adventure systems. This makes it simple to save or load only the part of the data that you need at the moment, which should help address the problems with save files. Further, since it's a journaling database, it remembers everything that happens. You can look up the game's state at some particular time, either for debugging, or because you need an NPC to remember something and can't be bothered to save the info yourself. (There are other uses for this that are cool too)

Lots and lots of rules

Fans of life sims tend to appreciate complexity. Developers are best served by reducing complexity as much as possible. So LiSE makes it easy to compartmentalize complexity and choose what of it you want to deal with and when.

It is a rules engine, an old concept from business software that lets you determine what conditions cause what effects. Here, conditions are Triggers and effects are Actions, and they're both lists of Python functions. Actions make some change to the state of the world, while Triggers look at the world once-per-turn and return a Boolean to show whether their Actions should happen.

The connection between Trigger and Action is arbitrary, you can mix and match when you want. If you're doing it in the graphical interface, they look sort of like trading cards, so constructing a rule is like deckbuilding. Triggers and Actions exist independent of the game world, and can therefore be moved from one game to another without much fuss. I intend to include a fair number of them with the release version of LiSE, so that you can throw together a toy sim without really writing any code.

And apart from all that

A standard convenience that comes with authoring kits: I've implemented (well, am implementing) a standard frontend for Sims-alikes, with rudimentary menus built from data you put into your world model. Essentially, it just lets you edit the world state directly, the expectation being that the game's rules will look at the part of the world that the player is allowed to edit, and will interpret that part as evidence of the player's intent.

You won't actually need to use my frontend, though. You can run it headless and connect to it from a bigger game engine if you prefer.

If you want to help

Doing random wacky stuff with it and giving feedback would be great! It's on GitHub, and currently under the GPL3, though I'd like to relicense once the project is mature. Contributions to the examples would be most welcome, either additions to the existing scripts or whole new worlds. sickle is a genetics simulation that most succinctly expresses the programming interface. kobold is a rudimentary combat sim that looks the best in the graphical frontend. college is the most similar to the game I intend to make, Dungeon University, a magic school life sim in which your mental/emotional state is the main thing determining how good your magic is, and therefore, how likely you are to graduate.

Post edited by LogicalDash on (log)

Comments

• Options

Oh, maybe it's about time I had another play. I didn't figure out much last time. But I don't remember there being those examples.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
forums.gamemaking.social Close